One of those plastic mesh baskets that hold strawberries
Bowl that’s larger than the basket
1. Fill a bowl half way or so with water.
2. Very carefully put the strawberry basket on the surface of the water. If you are
very careful you will be able to get the basket to sit on the surface tension of the
water and not sink. If it does sink, dry it off well before you try it again.
3. After you get the basket to sit on the water, get a little bit of soap on the end of
4. Now touch the surface of the water with your soapy finger. Don’t touch the water
too close to the basket.
5. Did the basket sink? Isn’t that neat?!
The soap breaks the surface tension of the water. The basket is really heavier than
the water so it will sink once the surface tension is broken.