Pin or Paper Clip
Cup with water
Salt, pepper, flour or any powder like stuff from the kitchen
1. Light the candle.
2. Take the salt and pour a bit into a small dish.
3. Wet the tip of the paper clip or pin in the cup of water.
4. Dip the tip of the paper clip or pin into the salt. Try to get some of the salt to stick.
5. Now, carefully, stick the tip of the paper clip or pin with the salt on it into the candle
6. Notice the colors coming from the salt.
7. Take the paper clip or pin out of the flame as soon as the colors stop. It will get
hot if you leave it in the flame too long.
8. Do the same thing with different stuff. What colors do you get from pepper?
Flour? Baking soda?
9. Remember to be careful.
Different chemicals give off different colored flames when they burn. By trying different
stuff on the pin, you may be able to see yellow, green, blue or other colors.
Fireworks use this concept. Freworks will be filled with very specific
chemicals to produce the amazing colors that you see.